Friday, January 1, 2010

Treatment??

Oh yeah...I left that little detail out, didn't I?

Yes, treatment. If you recall, I mentioned that something beyond the thyroid surgery might be necessary. Well, it turns out that it is necessary. No doubt about it.

I got a call from my doctor to discuss the pathology report on my now defunct thyroid. She was stunned by what the report said. It turns out that I had not two, but four tumors and all of them were malignant. None of them were very big, but apparently so many in one thyroid is not at all common. In addition, there was evidence of extension (meaning spread) that made it impossible for them to rule out the possibility that the cancer had gotten into my neck.

So here is the score. I am a male of almost 51 years with a multi-focal cancer of the thyroid. You can stop right there and send in the troops with guns blazing. That's enough to warrant further testing and treatment.

That means radioactive iodine. Wait until you hear how that goes. It should be interesting. My cat will have to move out for a few days so that I don't poison her. Nobody can get within 7 feet of me for that same time period lest they suffer exposure to gamma radiation. It would be a logistical nightmare if I had other people living at home with me, but as it is, it should be pretty easy to deal with. I'm no stranger to isolation.

I live in Maine, after all, and it's winter!

More later. With any luck, I'll actually have something about pony play to write soon. The Winter Flea is coming up, and I am planning on being there. Right now, I'm angling to make sure this treatment thing is out of the way before then.

Goals are a good thing.

3 comments:

Ghost Rider said...

Dang Rusty, I hope it all works out for you and hopefully we'll be hearing about Winter Flea soon.

Ponyboy Rusty said...

I hope so as well. As long as I can make the Flea, I'll be happy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.