Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pain, Pain Go Away!

Ok, that was the summer that was. No offense to the powers that arrange such things, but I could live a fulfilled life if I never had another like that.

So it has been a considerable time since I updated, and my friend D over at Weldable Cookies has been prodding. It might be advisable to let you in on what has happened since my past entry before her methods become less subtle. She has access to a wide range of very impressive power tools, after all.

To avoid confusion, you should know that the last entry on torquing my spine was actually written in early August. Trouble is, Blogger doesn't allow you to alter the date of you post the way Live Journal does, so you'll have to bear with me (and if I'm wrong on that score, correct me). But knowing this will allow you to at least follow the flow a little better.

As the last entry indicated, the pain in my leg gradually let up to a very dull roar mostly because I was sleeping carefully with a pillow between my legs and only one under my head (I'm still sleeping that way). I also took Tylenol instead of my usual pain reliever. Hey, I'm pushing 50 here. Pain relievers begin to play a regular role in everyday living by the mid 40s. If you haven't reached that point in life yet, congratulations.

Wait for it.

There's just one problem with Tylenol. My stomach doesn't like it that much. Not even in the recommended dosage. Three weeks of taking that stuff caught up with me on Labor Day weekend (see what I mean about the date thing?) and I spent one night tossing my cookies. As if that wasn't enough, I felt a twinge in my right side that got me thinking that I had sprouted a case of appendicitis. The symptoms all fit into place, so I called the emergency room and told them I was coming in. God forbid I should call an ambulance, right?

Long story short and a batch of medical tests later, appendicitis was ruled out. The basic issue was referred pain from the spinal problem - the nerves having gotten so loaded up that they were firing indiscriminately in all directions - coupled with a coincidental case of gastritis. I was sent home with several medications and instructions to see my doctor for a follow-up. I dropped seven pounds in five days and felt pretty horrible, but things came back to normal pretty quickly.

Three weeks later I was feeling better and went for my follow-up. My doctor looked me over and tried out some neurological tests. There were some unpleasant surprises - like the fact that I couldn't walk on my right heel and had no strength in my right toes. An MRI was ordered that showed a minor "bulging" of one disc. It wasn't a herniation, but it was enough to exert pressure on the sciatic nerve and explain all that had happened.

So now we know. And that's about it. The treatment hasn't changed. It's still watchful waiting but I'm refusing to take Tylenol. I've gone back to Aleve, which isn't as good on nerve pain but does keep it down to a dull roar.

I can't wait for this to go away completely. It's not exactly painful, but it's annoying. My back is as strong as ever - I never stopped going to the gym although my schedule and work conspired to make those trips a little less regular than last winter - and I still plan on traveling to Texas for this year's CTK Pony Jamboree in a week! There should be a lot to write about when that event is over!

I just wish what pain is left would go away. Anyone know a good massage therapist?

No comments: